DIREC TOR OF MUSIC
Part-time: 20 hours
Reports to Senior Pastor
Please send resume and references ASAP, to Administrator, Christ Lutheran Church, 11194 36th St. North, Lake Elmo, MN 55042 or to
The Director of Music is a person dedicated to the ministry of Jesus Christ and is a person committed to the mission and vision of Christ Lutheran Church (ELCA). They are involved with the life and mission of the church through music and worship ministry, coordinating the music components of worship. They demonstrate a belief in Jesus Christ by sharing their faith with others, worshipping regularly, having an open heart, growing mind, faithful spirit, and enthusiasm for ministry.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Administrative Responsibilities
- Along with the pastor, plan and coordinate the music program ministry of Christ Lutheran.
- Coordinates the music and liturgy with the lessons of the day selected by the pastor, including choosing varied styles of music that focuses on grace, community and inclusiveness, appropriate for ELCA Lutheran worship.
- Schedule and coordinate rehearsals and worship participation for various choirs, ensembles, soloists, and instrumentalists as they pertain to worship services.
- Share new music/ worship resources and ideas with the pastor, organist, staff and volunteers, including ways to expand the music ministry and programs.
- Develop a network of musicians both internal and external to the church that can provide music for worship services.
- Maintain professional competency by practicing, performing, attending continuing-education classes, workshops and seminars.
- Work with other staff to provide weekly bulletins/slides (liturgy, prayers, hymns, etc.)
- Maintains licensing for all music and worship items (music, videos)
- Works in coordination with audio/visual leaders for the creation of slides for worship
- Prepare financial budgets that pertain to the ministry areas of music and worship.
- Purchase music and other worship materials necessary for these ministry areas.
- Manage budget and finances for the music and worship programming.
- Monitor payment of accompanists, substitute organists, and other instrumentalists.
- Staff and Governance Responsibilities
- Interacts with the pastor, staff, any task forces/committees in carrying out duties.
- Attend weekly staff meetings and monthly Worship Committee meetings
- Provide timely information to the congregation about upcoming events and schedules via weekly bulletin announcements, the church website, newsletter and other social media.
- Maintain communication with members of music groups as needed, via the church website, emails, mailings, and phone calls.
- Maintain communication with the other members of the church staff via weekly staff meetings, email, and phone calls
- Music Facilities Management
- Update and maintain the music library.
- Coordinate equipment needs with the Pastor and Worship Committee, including the tuning and other maintenance of the pianos, organ and other instruments.
- Coordinate rehearsal schedules and use of church facilities as needed with the Office Administrator
- Music Programming
- The Director of Music works is present all Sundays except when on vacation and attending continuing education. The Director is also present at special religious services such as: Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and mid-week Advent and mid-week Lenten Worship services.
- Direct the following music ensembles: adult Chancel Choir, Bell Choir, Servant Song Praise worship band and any special seasonal ensembles.
- Along with other volunteer leaders, bring music into the life of our children's ministry, including leading children’s singing on some Sunday mornings at the start of Sunday School (Sept.-May) with elementary-age children during Education hour.
- Create and direct special worship music, including hired musicians.
- Coordinate music with the organist/ piano-lead at both services.
- Educate the congregation in music and how it relates and uplifts the worship experience.
- Along with the pastor, recruit and direct Assisting Ministers and Worship Audio/Visual Team
- Network with music/worship leaders in and around the Lake Elmo community.
- OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
- Possess a minimum of a Bachelor of Arts degree in music/ music education or equivalent.
- 3-5 years or more of conducting experience.
- Ability to plan and shape both traditional and praise/contemporary worship services.
- Commitment as a disciple of Jesus Christ and to serve as an example in faith and life.
- Demonstrate an understanding of Lutheran theology and appropriate music and texts for worship.
- Demonstrate proficiency with piano and experience as a conductor.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of vocal and singing techniques.
- Maintain confidentiality and professionalism.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Demonstrate ability to engage and motivate musicians of all ages.
- Demonstrate ability to work as part of a team, working collegially with staff and other leaders.
- Demonstrate knowledge and honoring of current copyright laws.